Normally, when you see a list of tips on a blog post, they are usually all related. Eg. top 5 plugins, top 10 SEO tips, etc.
Well, the heck with that. Here are five simple, and yes, unrelated tips for WordPress.
1. Text Hyperlinks: when creating a text hyperlink remember this simple rule of thumb. If you linking to a page within your site, leave it at the default. But if you are linking to a page on an outside site, click the box ”open link in a new window/tab”. If you don’t you will have lost your reader. This way when they close the window of the site you linked to, your site will still be there.
2. Static Home Page: Do you want to change your homepage to a static page rather than your blog? Can’t figure out what to do? Create a page for your homepage and one for your blog. Then got to settings >reading and change the settings on the “front page displays”
3. Premium Theme Licensing: If you choose to have a developer do your WordPress website and/or blog, and decide to save a few bucks by using the developers copy of a WordPress premium theme, remember that “you” will not have access to support or possibly, updates to that theme. I recommend you purchase your own license.
4. A SEO Tip: When creating file names, for example an image, if you want space between the words, use an dash instead of a underscore, Google looks at dashes as separators and underscores as a word joiner.
5. Your Editing Window: Want a bigger window when creating your post or page in WordPress? Find that little ridged corner in the lower right-hand side of the box and drag down to enlarge.